Link Details

Link 63893 thumbnail
User 111696 avatar

By bloid
via css.dzone.com
Published: Jan 30 2008 / 04:16

Most web browsers make resizing text an easy thing to do*, but not all web browsers will resize images along with that text**. Good web designers know this and go to great lengths to make sure their web layouts don't bork when text is resized. But did you know you can make images grow and shrink along with the text?
  • 13
  • 2
  • 5292
  • 32
User 220134 avatar

madarco replied ago:

1 votes Vote down Vote up Reply

It must be a joke... "make sure your starting image is larger than the default size." so 99% of visitors will see a 100k crippled sized-down image for the sake of the other 1% that will resize it.

User 201118 avatar

Lars Pohlmann replied ago:

0 votes Vote down Vote up Reply

Nice trick. But if you want to have the best image quality, the default size should be the actual image size.
How do you accomplish that in this case?

User 239201 avatar

amphi replied ago:

0 votes Vote down Vote up Reply

Nicer with SVGs.

SVGs are also more suited for that kind of images this kind of scaling is useful for. E.g. link markers (indicating that it's an external link or showing the file type) or list markers.

User 202522 avatar

gfxmonk replied ago:

0 votes Vote down Vote up Reply

ugh... web browsers do a *terrible* job at image scaling. your scaled-down versions will take more bandwidth *and* look far worse.

Add your comment


Html tags not supported. Reply is editable for 5 minutes. Use [code lang="java|ruby|sql|css|xml"][/code] to post code snippets.

Apache Hadoop
Written by: Piotr Krewski
Featured Refcardz: Top Refcardz:
  1. Play
  2. Akka
  3. Design Patterns
  4. OO JS
  5. Cont. Delivery
  1. Play
  2. Java Performance
  3. Akka
  4. REST
  5. Java